Library Services Manager
Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne
Founded over a century ago, Colin Biggers & Paisley continues to realise our vision of being recognised as the leading provider of legal services in our chosen fields of expertise. Today our practice has over 450 staff, offices in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, and a track record of high engagement and collaborative leadership.
Working as part of the Corporate Services team, you will enjoy working in a technology focused, well-resourced and forward thinking team environment. This is a highly valued role that will see you build strong relationships with Partners, lawyers and other support staff.
About the role
You will have responsibility for:
- Managing the operations of the law library, including monitoring budgets and allocating, organizing and disseminating legal resources;
- Controlling and maintain the practice's collection of library material and online resources;
- Conducting a periodic review of new and existing electronic resources with an eye toward improved service and research efficiencies;
- Maintaining an accurate catalogue;
- Maintaining and updating periodicals and loose leaf updates;
- Managing all subscriptions;
- Purchasing new library material as necessary;
- Training lawyers, students, staff and others on the use of internet based legal research programs such as Westlaw, Lexis/Nexis and emerging electronic resources such as, electronic journals, on-line court dockets and legislative materials;
- Providing new starters will all necessary library services training;
- Conducting in-depth research in a wide range of areas including practice-specific areas of law, business intelligence, public records, legislative history, medical and news/media;
- Assisting in ensuring fee earners are kept up to date on legal and business developments for their relevant practice group;
- Promoting library services and resources to the practice;
- Supervising and evaluating the work of any paralegals allocated to assist the library;
- Performing topical research for blogs, newsletters, firm websites and other media;
- Producing competitive intelligence reports for the practice's business development activities;
- Compiling RSS feeds that monitor clients, competitors, market trends and regulatory issues;
- Project work as required.
The successful candidate will have
- Relevant tertiary qualifications;
- Expertise in conducting legal and business research;
- Experience managing and maintaining a law practice library;
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all staff at all levels;
- Experience implementing new library systems;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
At Colin Biggers & Paisley, our workplace culture focuses on excellence without losing sight of work/life balance.
We established the Colin Biggers & Paisley Foundation which brings together our entire community offering, underpinned by a central strategy of promoting and protecting the rights of women and children in Australia and abroad through pro bono legal services, volunteering and charitable contributions.
We commit to promoting a truly diverse workforce and culture, that is inclusive of everyone and gives all of our people the opportunity to build and advance their career in a way that is aligned with our core values: balance, respect, loyalty and integrity. This will assist us to improve the business performance of the practice, acquire and retain the best talent, enabling us to build effective teams for our clients and deliver the highest calibre service.
We continually invest in our people, providing training, learning and support, formal mentoring program, and promoting a social and connected environment. We also offer other benefits such as social and sporting functions, rewards and recognition, casual Fridays, massages and professional memberships.